[tlug] unicode font with czech and japanese characters

Michal Hajek writes:

 > XTerm*font:  -*-fixed-medium-*-*-*-20-200-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*

You'll have a devil of a time finding legacy fonts like this that
support both cs and ja.  Instead, make sure your XTerm was compiled
with Xft support (Debian should by default) and use this syntax

XTerm*faceName: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-16

in .Xresources (but not that font, which definitely doesn't support
Japanese).

 > How do I veryfy which characters are in which font?

You don't want to do that unless you're a real font geek.

 > Or, how do I find a font on my system which includes czech and japanese
 > characters?

find ~ /usr/share/fonts -name '*fonts.cache-1' | xargs grep 'cs,.*ja\|ja,.*cs'

Don't worry about where you find it, just the font names.

 > If there is no such font on my system, how can I find it on the
 > internet?

"dpkg -l | grep font" will give a pretty long list.  AFAIK all the
distros package essentially all the free fonts available on the web.

 > If there is no such font at all, how do I construct one?

You don't want to do that, but you won't have to.