Re: [tlug] WINE and Removable Devices

Josh Glover wrote:
On 14/08/07, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:

I'd like to try out Skype in Kubuntu using my portable Skype phone.
[...]
Have you verified that the device does not Just Work with the Linux
version of Skype?

Yes, I have. I have tried plugging it in with Skype (Linux) activated and without. Linux does not correctly identify the device thinking it to be a camera. None of the MIME type alternatives are for a sound device. I think I probably have a daemon or two to install so that it offers me a VOIP-related alternative.

Clicking on the "Removable Device" icon causes Linux to create a

/media/REMOVABLE/skyphone/

subdirectory, from which I can open wellphone.exe (the hardware driver interface) from the menu using WINE. A "wellphone" icon appears in the active programs panel and it attempts to load a WIN version of Skype, even if a Linux version is already running. The WIN version cannot start.

It appears that there are multiple issues to fix:

The problem is 100% on the input side. The Linux version of Skype cannot find the handset and attempts to use a mike and speakers. Sound output, via the speakers works fine -- more clear than when in WIN, IMNSHO -- when a test connection is tried.

Also, all text in the windows opened by Wellphone are all question marks; no mojibake. If I recall correctly, the windows text is Shift-JIS. I'll have to re-check in WIN after I disconnect the desktop phone from that box.

--
CL