[tlug] Re: Positive Promotion of Linux

"Lyle H Saxon" <llletters@example.com> wrote:

>On 8/12/07, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

>> Phillip, I really think that posts like this hurt the Linux cause. I
>> guess you disagree, but at least think about it. The business world
>> takes thoughtful commentary like Zemlin's much more seriously than it
>> does Slashdaughter ravings.
>
>Yes, this I agree with.  I have come around to this line of thinking -
>that positive promotion is better than negative statements (even when
>they're true).  In private I think I'll probably still rant a bit
>about brand-W, but in a public forum like this, it's better to remain
>positive and focused on a positive outcome ("on-message" as is
>sometimes said).  Remember - the best defense is offense!

Long live tatemae!

I agree completely. People do not want to hear things that make them
uncomfortable, and especially in this country, voicing non-mainstream
opinions makes a lot of people hand you the window seat. So how does
one generate an idea that becomes mainstream? Oops, I may have said
too much... LOL But definitely, tact is key.

I am writing up something quantifiable about open-source and community
projects, versus closed-source and company-headed projects. Maybe done
in a few days and post it here for the tiger-claw ripping.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug