[tlug] [OT] CD & FLAC Players

This is only relevant in a round-about way - in that I'm aiming to get
an old box set up in my living room connected to the stereo as a
CD-player.

For many years I happily listened to CD's with a Marantz CD-4000FN,
but this year it began to have trouble reading disks and so I bought a
replacement.

Thinking (mistakenly apparently) that a DVD player with CD playback
capability would provide acceptable (if not optimum) performance I
bought a Pioneer DV-400V DVD/CD/MP3/Photo player/viewer, but the sound
quality from CD's (store-bought original CD's) is dismal in most
cases.

No request for assistance here, just a warning to any audiophiles out
there thinking of doing the same thing!

Well, wait - here's a question.  Any suggestions for a FLAC player
that will plug into a stereo system and is geared to stereo system
playback and good fidelity first and foremost?

Lyle