Re: [tlug] Positive Promotion of Linux

On 12/08/07, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:

> It is my opinion that the statement "Microsoft is here to stay" is
> wrong.  No company, individual, or organization is granted an
> automatic right to eternal existence.

This is not what he meant, I think. I think he meant that Linux users
need to frame their goals in such a way that Microsoft being crushed
is not the only way to achieve them, because it is unlikely to happen,
at least in the short-term.

> So - I suppose instead of saying "Microsoft should be eradicated",
> it's better to say "Linux is a better option for both companies and
> individuals to use" and then to set about doing what we can to bring
> about a better direction and better trends in computing.

+1

> I think we should avoid not only
> negative statements like "eradicate Widows" (although I personally
> like that one! Oops!), but also negative statements like "brand-W is
> free" and "brand-W is here to stay".

Well, I will take exception to the "Windows is free" one, at least in
the context of this mailing list. The eponymous article by Dave[1]
does not claim that Windows is free, it posits that users *perceive*
Windows as being free, and that such a perception is a big problem for
people trying to advocate Linux.

You and Dave are on the same side, I swear. Please read his article
with an open mind, and I think by the time you reach the conclusion,
you will realise that he is not saying what you think he is saying. :)

Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://tlug.jp/articles/Windows_Is_Free.html