Re: [tlug] RESPECT MICROSOFT

Josh, Phillip,

I agree partly with what Josh, and Mark Shuttleworth, say about this issue in that it would be healthier in general for Linux users to focus on what is good about Linux and not what is bad about Windows.

However, this quote from Phillip Tribble is rather loaded:
"Microsoft... has a good track record in fending off competition."

If he means "good" as in effective, then I guess that's true. But if he means "good" as in respectable, then I would take issue as that. As a web designer I have had to suffer the consequences of their ability to make their Internet Explorer the dominant browser in the market place. And that was accomplished almost solely because of tactics that had everything to do with wealth and power and nothing to do with its merits as a product.

I'm sure that others here could come up with other examples as well.

My point is simply that the choice isn't binary, either to value Linux, or devalue Microsoft.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G