Re: [tlug] [IME] :P Which IME does everyone use?

Ken wrote:

> >That was part of what I was complaining about.
> >For me, doing that is not so hard, but for the
> >average user, who doesn't know an RC file from
> >an email...  Not so good ^^;

Bart writes:

I hadn't felt the need to enter Korean for
> months, so I theoretically shouldn't even remember how to start the SCIM/Anthy
> business.
>
> I chanced to start Thunderbird from Konsole a few days ago without the prefix.
> Lo and also behold!  Up comes
> bart@example.com:~$ selected locale: en-US
> Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
> DOUBLE-CLICK: 250 --> -1 THRESHOLD: 8 --> -1 GTK Panel of SCIM 1.0.2
>
> Starting as daemon ...
> and there's the odd little icon in the panel I can click on to type my choice
> of Japanese, Korean, or English.
>
> Puzzle #1 for me:  Why does this happen, and why doesn't it happen with
> LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS=@example.com on the front of the command (I would have
> thought I'd need something similar with maybe "anthy" replacing "kinput2")?
>
> I have no plain .bashrc at all.  I did find a /root/.bashrc and an
> /etc/bash.bashrc, but neither of them seem to have anything to do with the
> matter.

You didn't say what version of Linux you're using.  I've had this happen
on occasion with Arch, I always put it down to having
GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" in .xinitrc, but never investigated.

In a followup post of mine, I mentioned that in the latest Ubuntu, it
seems that the only thing I have to do is install Japanese support (and
perhaps install scim-anthy--I don't know if that gets installed with
Japanese support.)

After doing that, it seems that scim is up and running from the time I
log in, and anytime I hit ctl+space, scim comes up and I can enter
Japanese.

This is without doing anything on my part--no entries to .bashrc,
.bash_profile, etc.

So, if you're running a later Ubuntu, this might happen just because you
have Japanese support enabled.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Anya: You know this isn't your world, right? I mean, you know you
don't belong here.
Willow: No. This is a dumb world. On my world, there are people
in chains, and we can ride them like ponies.