Re: [tlug] [IME] :P Which IME does everyone use?

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 02:36:08PM +0900, burlingk@example.com wrote:

> [...]

Interestingly enough, I went back and looked, as I didn't remember
putting in scim -d anywhere.

It turns out that at some point--whether when I installed Japanese
support or when I installed scim-anthy--it was all done automagically.
I commented the XMODIFIERS and LC_CTYPE out of my .bashrc and it still
worked.

In other words, all I did was install scim-anthy (I did this before
adding Japanese support, it might have been installed for me otherwise,
I don't know) with apt-get install scim-anthy, added Japanese language
support from the GUI menu when it then downloaded some other things,
fonts and the like, and perhaps reconfigured locales, and scim-anthy
just worked.  This is, as I said, in an alpha version of Gutsy Gibbon.

Even more interesting, OpenOffice Just Works(TM) too.  I see that I
never enabled Asian language (it's not shown as enabled) and even if I
just open it, where the default font is Times, and then hit ctl+space,
Anthy opens, the font automagically changes, and Japanese appears.

So, even for the newcomer, this seems to be pretty much a no
brainer--even in Windows, one usually has to specifically enable
Japanese language support--in Mac, it, as well as many other languages
that I eliminate during a custom install, it's already there.

So Ken, if you get a chance, try Gutsy Gibbon and see if it Just Works,
even if you approached it as a newcomer unwilling to do more than add
Japanese support.   Actually, if anyone puts in a new Gutsy install, I'd
be curious to see if, after adding Japanese support, scim-anthy is
there.)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: So, we Bronzin' it tonight?
Willow: Wednesdays, kinda beat...
Xander: Well, we could grind our enemies into talcum powder with
a sledgehammer, but, gosh, we did that last night.