Re: [tlug] No more Gentoo

On 11/08/07, burlingk@example.com <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

> Looks to me like he is kicking himself in the rear for not
> having done more.

Well, Daniel Robbins "quit" Gentoo in a pretty public way a few years
back, and there were hard feelings on both sides. So I dunno how
entitled to kick himself in the rear he is.

> He wishes the organization could keep
> going on their own, but feels that things are on a downward
> spiral, and this is a way out of the spin without letting the
> organization fall apart all together.

Again, he has not been involved in Gentoo for years.

> :P  People in response made mention of responding more to
> the whims of cantankerous developers than to users.

Well, Gentoo has always been a bit political, but I guess that applies
to any non-commercial distro with more than two developers. Debian has
had its share of melodrama over the years. :)

This is why I just keep my head down and work on ebuilds; I get my
fill of politicking in my day jobs. :(

> [Developers] tend to be Gentoos primary audience most of the time anyway,

Not since Gentoo hit Distrowatch back in 2002 or whenever that was.
Take a look at forums.gentoo.org some time if you don't believe me.

I have nothing but respect for Daniel Robbins technically, but he is a
bit of a prima donna, or at least, that is the impression that I have
gotten in my years as a Gentoo developer.

--
Cheers,
Josh