Re: [tlug] [IME] :P Which IME does everyone use?

On 8/10/07, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> Oops... you probably have certain TLUGgers to blame for that. Mark
> Shuttleworth came to Tokyo and had a brainstorming / Q&A session with
> some members of the Japanese Linux press and community, and a few of
> us (Edward, Kevin/Alain, Lyle, and myself; seems like I am forgetting
> someone) went. We stressed that for Ubuntu to take off in Japan,
> Japanese input had to Just Work, and we recommended scim at the time,
> since it seemed to Just Work more than any other IME, in a truly m17n
> environment.

There's a brief account (of what was billed at the time as a "Round
Table Discussion") of that meeting here:
http://www.linuxforums.org/reviews/converging_paths_in_tokyo.html

 - on Linux Forums, written by myself and with some of my comments.
The quoted parts I painstakingly transcribed from a recording I made,
so those bits are a word-for-word record.  I used acronyms instead of
names, but I think "LNA-A" is Edward and "LNA-B" is definitely Josh.
(Amazingly, Shuttleworth is "Shuttleworth".)

For the transcribing, I used software that came with my Olympus
IC-recorder, which unfortunately only runs on brand-W.  I used that
software for a simple, but very important feature - it allows you to
pause/play and cue/review via the function keys.  Come to think of it
- it's such a simple thing - it must be duplicated by something in the
Linux world.  Any suggestions?  I don't have to often transcribe
recordings, but when I do, that functionality (not with the mouse, it
needs to be the function keys) is vital when there is any quantity of
text to be typed up.

Lyle