Re: [tlug] [IME] :P Which IME does everyone use?

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 11:10:12AM -0700, steven smith wrote:
> burlingk@example.com wrote:
> >Them main places that concern me are Open Office, FireFox,
> >and gjiten (A dictionary program).  :P  Those are the only
> >places I am generally going to use Japanese.  gjiten has a

I know that in older versions of Debian, I had to do dpkg-reconfigure
locales.

However in an alpha of the latest Ubuntu (something Gibbon) I did the
following.

In .bashrc

export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8

I already shut it back down and I'm too lazy to check if I had scim -d
in there too--I might have as it seemed to be running when I did a
standard Ubuntu boot into GUI mode.

I had, though System, Administration, Language Support, added Japanese
support.  That was all I had to do.

In openoffice, I made sure to pick a Japanese font.  Did you do that?
(You being Ken, not Steve.)
Also did you add support for Japanese in Tools, Options, Languages?
(I think that's it, I'm back in FreeBSD and in console and too lazy to
startx right now.  Otherwise, it's Options, Tools, Languages.)

In firefox, I did nothing.  There is the necessity of doing scim -d, but
that was it.

In both, it worked for me with no problems.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )