Re: [tlug] How to use FF's shortcuts [C&C?]

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Josh Glover wrote:

On 09/08/2007, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

It has one serious failure which drove me up the wall: it puts the
cursor on characters that don't exist. Specifically, the non-existent
character after the last character of the line.

Interesting. I feel the same way about vi, 'cept in reverse; I want the cursor to show me where the next character will be inserted.

You're probably thinking of insert mode, where it does do what you want. I'm talking about edit mode.

And it edit mode, how can it know? Your character will be inserted
before the current character if you press 'i', after the current
character if you press 'a', and in at the beginning or end of line if
you use "I" or "A".

Couldn't you easily fix this?

My intuition says it would probably be very difficult to fix. Things like this are usually deeply embedded in the model that the editor uses, and changing them can break stuff all over the place.

Would you, or another vi ninja on the list, be willing to do a vi demo?

I'd contemplate it, but I think I'd do the world more good by writing a little course on becoming a vi power-user. Then again, I'm not sure that there's a lot of point. Non-power-users are not likely to be much less efficient in Emacs than vi, and for someone really wanting to do good stuff, I'd be very tempted to recommend that they learn that in Emacs.

(Man, I'm doing a bad job on this editor war.)

cjs