Re: [tlug] Email encoding for DoCoMo and AU (was: font/char set question)

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Not as far as I know. I see no more reason for base-64-encoding it than
> any other 8-bit data, such as Shift_JIS or ISO-2022-JP.

*snicker* You do have a bad memory.

Well, that I do, in that ISO-2022-JP fits into the lower 7 bits.

ISO-2022-JP is old enough for bytesize to matter (RFC 1468).

I'm not sure what you mean by this. But one generally shouldn't use a transfer-encoding for ISO-2022-JP. From RFC-1468:

   The ISO-2022-JP encoding is already in 7-bit form, so it is not
   necessary to use a Content-Transfer-Encoding header. It should be
   noted that applying the Base64 or Quoted-Printable encoding will
   render the message unreadable in current JUNET software.

cjs