Re: [tlug] Re: [KOREAN] Re: austart.sh for Openbox in Ubuntu

On Friday 10 August 2007 00:08:22 Simon Cozens wrote:
> Urgh, yes. I am trying to learn Korean - since it's becoming the
> dominant language of my profession - but it's one of those things where
> I'm going to have to seriously sit down and devote a chunk of time to it
> before it fixes itself in my head.

Good luck!  Note that the best books to learn Korean with are only available
in Korea.  I would really suggest a bookstore called 교보문고 ("Kyobo") in 광화문
("Gwanghwamun").
http://www.kyobobook.co.kr
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyobo_Book_Centre

> I've made several attempts to learn Hangul, and last time I managed to get
> it all in there, but since I haven't used it for a month or so it's all
> leaked out again.

Hangul is a very reasonable system, so it is much easier to learn when
compared to ひらがな/カタカナ.  I was able to learn it in less than a day, but I have
a Japanese friend who I started to teach Korean, and she was able to learn it
in a matter of hours!  There is a book in the above-mentioned bookstore that
claims that it is possible to learn it in 45 minutes, if I remember
correctly!

I think the trick is using it once you learn it, otherwise you will forget it.
(My Japanese friend, however, did not use it and can still remember when I
quiz her!)

> Japanese learning has a tendency to take over any spare cycles I have
> around.

Same here, mate.

Cheers,

Travis