Re: [tlug] Email issues

Jim Tittsler writes:

 > > the exim server gets overwhelmed at times and does not accept email
 > > temporarily.
 >
 > While that is certainly possible (there are safeguards on number of
 > accepted incoming connections and server load), I think greylisting
 > accounts for the delay.

Well, what I've seen on other sites is that they get DOSsed by the
spammers, and greylisted mail can wait for many hours if you miss the
second shot, because many sites will back off to 1 hour, 3 hours, 6
hours, etc.

One wonders if this is a deliberate strategy by the spammers to make
greylisting more of an annoyance than the spam itself to admins and
users.