Re: [tlug] [IME] :P Which IME does everyone use?

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 01:44:00PM +0900, Sam Morrison wrote:

> On 8/8/07, burlingk@example.com <burlingk@example.com> wrote:
> > Anytime I install it [SCIM]  on a new  computer, it is a trip back to the Wiki for whichever distro I am using at the  time to get instructions to make it work. ^^;;;

I haven't had that problem.  On some distributions, it's not available
by default, but lately, most seem to have it.  After that, it usually
just works for me.

> > Any suggestions?  :)
>
> I like uim. I used to use SCIM, but would occasionally have input
> issues where it would stop working when I had too many windows open.

There was someone on ArchLinux forums who also preferred uim.  (There's
a link to the thread in one of my articles--by the way, I have put
something up in the wiki's Japanese howto section if anyone feels like
viewing or brutally editing it.)

I don't make heavy demands of scim, usually working on one thing at a
time, which is, perhaps, one reason that I've found it quite good for my
needs.  The other advantage (for me) is that its default is ctl+space
and uim, at least on NetBSD when I last used it, is shift+space.  (I'm
sure I could figure out how to change this with a very small bit of
reading, but I never bothered.)  I tend to hit shift+space far more
often than I would hit ctl+space by accident.

Technically, I will certainly take your word for it that uim works
better when stressed, but again, for my rather small needs, ~I've~ found
scim to be the most convenient to use.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Believe it or not, Jonathan, I understand about the
pain.
Jonathon: Oh, right. 'Cause the burden of being beautiful and
athletic, that's a crippler.