Re: [tlug] Email encoding for DoCoMo and AU (was: font/char set question)

On 08/08/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> Actually, ISO-2022-JP is more broadly supported for Japanese e-mail than
> Shift_JIS, from my experience.

Yeah, actually you are right there. Come to think of it, I think we
use ISO-2022-JP for email and Shit_JIS for webpages, but I'd have to
VRFY that.

> You've not proven that UTF-8 doesn't work; you've proven that UTF-8 with
> base64 encoding doesn't work. Does Shift_JIS work when base64 encoded?

I have no clue.

Isn't UTF-8 supposed to be Base-64 encoded, per some RFC or other? I
seem to remember reading or hearing that, but I may be mistaken.

Gmail Base-64 encodes emails, so that is my test point. I probably
have no control over that, so in order to do a proper test, I'd have
to use Perl on Hikari. I might get around to it, but probably not.

If anybody cares, this would be an interesting thing to gather more data on.

--
Cheers,
Josh