Re: [tlug] [A] Using [TAG SPAM] in email subjects

On 8/8/07, emiddleton@example.com <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
> Keith Bawden wrote:
> > As far as I can see, there is no common usage. The IME, FEP, HENKAN
> > issue being a point in case.
> >

> Sorry I am not following your point.   Could you explain the relevance
> of not having a single word that is commonly associated with input
> method has on the use of a tagging in subject headers?

My point is that there is no common sense (in this sense) and that is
there is no commonly associated term that would make it obvious to the
bulk of readers what the tag actually means. Without doing a table
lookup first...

> > Of course if we all had pull down menus where we could select from and
> > add new tags[1] from within our email clients then this *might* work.
> >

> Hay it is just two extra keys '[' ']' and they are right next to the
> Enter key if you are using a Japanese layout ;)

My point was not about how difficult it would be to type the tags. My
point is how much of a PITA it would be to research what the correct
tag is and then type it. After all adding this complexity would not
encourage people to join in, and I would not be surprised if some
people over policed non-conformity to the new tag regime.

> > Final point on this tomato sauce[2] is that will a newbie be likely to
> > know what any of these tags mean, the genre they should choose, or in
> > some cases what the name of the problem application is?
> >

> They will if we add it to the mail list usage policy and they do as
> requested and read it.  If they don't then all bets are off for
> everything mailing list policy related.

I think we should strive for simplicity of the list policy - not complexity.

> > Hence the " please help me to type Japanese" type subjects. Being
> > difficult for a newbie to rewrite as:
> >
> > [tlug][scim][athy][henkan][i'm cold and need a hug] please help me to
> > type Japanese
> >

> [tlug][noob] please help me to type Japanese
>
> would however express that the new user who doesn't know what input
> method they should be using needs help setting it up.  Yes it might not
> have as much informational content as having IME or something else that
> expresses input method but it has a lot more then the status quo.

Would also help to indicate the daffy bastard cannot figure out which
tags to use :-) Maybe we will need a new tag for people like me ;-)

[tag aversive]

Regards, Keith