Re: [tlug] Suggestions for splitting of mails?

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
I am wondering what is the best way for a ML subscriber to handle
this? I appreciate that getting a batch of mails on my Google account
is not the best solution, and that people who have mail accounts to
receive to can do splitting better. However, I don't want to split by
topic or by author or by keyword, I would prefer the contents of the
posts to be on-topic as far as possible (hollow laugh).

This is something that I looked at before the last tlug election and came up with one possible solution. If people could add some minimal tags to their email a la [ANN] [OT] etc. we could provide something more useful for filtering. Something like [QUES], [ANS], [NOOB], [EXPERT], [HW], [DRIVER], [IM], [XEMACS], [RUBY], [PYTHON], [PERL], [C&C], [LEGAL], [NEWS], [CC], [GPL],. These could also be used to filter in the archive.

I wonder if it might be possible to split the ML more? I am thinking
along the lines of an analogue to web forums, where sub-forums for
various off-topic, ah, topics, go, and one can have sub-forums for
flaming, trashing other OSes, political views, and so on. On the other
hand, such topics would have no place in the on-topic sub-forums, and
posts or threads could be moved between sub-forums as appropriate.

Why make the mailing list into a forum, there is nothing to stop us from having forums.

Edward