Re: [tlug] Suggestions for splitting of mails?

On 06/08/07, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo@example.com> wrote:

> I enjoy TLUG's ML a lot, and I have mixed feelings about the last
> couple of days of posts.

So say we all.

> I appreciate that the list is populated by a
> bunch of very smart people who hold strong views on what they believe
> in. It is also clear that it is impossible for everyone to agree, nor
> do I think that is desirable.

No. Except for one thread, I think the discussions have been useful.
In fact, my disagreements with Curt have spawned several threads which
many people mentioned were highly informative and useful.

> I'm happy to see that none of the near flame-wars

Which ones, specifically?

> but at the same time I am
> unhappy to see them ending in warnings to some of the participants

Again, that was one thread, and one of the people who was warned has a
bit of a history on TLUG that I took into consideration when issuing
the warning.

> (and also, in a more general sense, that some people may appear
> to be getting away with throw-away remarks).

So call them on it.

> I wonder if it might be possible to split the ML more?

No.

> At present, for disciplinary action, also
> there seems to be only the possibility of a warning and expulsion,
> which is a bit wide-ranging (shotgun against cockroach sort of
> approach).

Have you read this?

http://www.tlug.jp/listpolicy.php

> People who haven't subscribed to that forum/ML would never need to see
> it.

People should be encouraged to use their mailer's thread support to
ignore threads they consider worthless.

This is why we are so gung-ho about not breaking or hijacking threads
around here.

> Some rules on absolutely out of the question topics could be made,
> something that might become necessary if TLUG gets any larger and
> maybe less cohesive.

TLUG used to be bigger and less cohesive than it is now, and that is
where the List Policy doc came from.

> Any comments welcome. If there is already an established procedure
> decided on by the committee (and they feel it is working), so be it.

I appreciate your remarks, but let me say this: you are fairly new to
TLUG. Give it time. I for one have a lot of faith in our ability to
hold things together. :)

I have been Listmaster for at least five years (one forgets...), and I
have *never* had to ban someone. The closest I came in five years was
the Shannon Jacobs thing, which I ultimately think we handled well.

Splitting the list will have the effect of killing off most of the
discussions. Believe me, the TLUG list has not always been this
active, and I for one enjoy the activity, as I think we are, for the
most part, having very worthwhile discussions.

--
Cheers,
Josh