Re: [tlug] What would happen to the Internet if the US fell off the map

Josh, Stephen,

Just wanted to add my 2 yen on a small side issue:

Josh wrote (liberally edited for brevity):

if... have some
kind of special insight, you really should say so. Otherwise, we have
to treat your opinion as equivalent to anyone else's; just a
semi-informed guess.

I keep using Steve as an example, but when he posts on an economic
topic, we all know that he is a Professor of Economics at Tsukuba-dai
and that informs how we treat his opinion. If Steve was new to this
list and posted about an economic topic, I would expect him to mention
that he is an expert.
I actually strongly disagree with this approach to assessing the credibility of a statement made by anyone. I've seen it and experienced it on this list enough to feel compelled to make mention of it.

Steve is undoubtedly a person with great knowledge about economics. But I feel that his title as a professor is a short hand for giving him the benefit of the doubt, but shouldn't be a requirement in order to assess if what he says is true. And it definitely shouldn't be mistaken as proof positive that what he says is right.

Otherwise you create the potential for an "appeal to authority":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority

With all due respect to Steve and or all other experts of their fields who may read this, if a person truly is an expert and they have internalized their base of understanding in their field, then the validity of what they say should be manifest in the statements they make.

And on the flipside, if someone wants to question whether or not an expert is right or wrong about something, that's perfectly fair. Experts can be wrong. If they truly have expertise in the topic being discussed they should be able to easily express the logic that drives their views.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't believe anyone here should have to explain their credentials, nor should anyone question someone else's ability to speak on a matter based on their credentials of any kind.

If someone doesn't really make sense in what they say, it will become apparent soon enough by their statements alone.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G