Re: [tlug] Free

I'll take the liberty of disobeying Josh by giving minimal answers to
direct questions, and defining a word that may not be commonly
understood.

Marty Pauley writes:
 > On 06/08/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
 > > Marty Pauley writes:
 > >
 > >  > I just think that the inaccurate perception of the general public
 > >
 > > Speaking of factives, this makes me sad.
 > >
 > > Why advocacy of free software is so often associated with this kind of
 > > intolerance of others' value systems is a mystery to me.
 >
 > What part makes you sad?  Are you sad because the general public have
 > inaccurate perceptions?

No.

That is indicated by my use of the word "factive".  It means
implicitly establishing a proposition as fact by injecting it via a
descriptive phrase in a subordinate clause.  Cf. Paul and Carol
Kiparsky's 1970 "Fact," in Progress in Linguistics.

 > Is it because my statement made you believe that I was intolerant?

Yes.

Cheers,