Re: [tlug] Supporting Linux

On 8/4/07, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:
> > Let's see... it's okay for Dr. T to dump DUD (Disinformation,
> The correct term is FUD, not DUD.

Not in this case.  Fear is not a factor - Disinformation is.

> > Disinformation Uncertainty & Doubt) on the list and say
> > that Microsoft undercharges, that OpenOffice takes hours to
> > open, and that Microsoft is free, but
>
> What if he is actually right? Or can you disprove his arguments?

That Microsoft is free?  Look - you can "prove" anything with
sophistry.  Nevertheless, we all know that Microsoft is not free.

> > it's not okay for me to say we should support Linux on a Linux list.
> > Go figure!
>
> There is a difference between stating a fact (whether it is
> true or not is an other question) and calling people to join
> a crusade.

Crusade?  No, I'm not calling for a crusade - just a little more
respect for the truth and less respect for empty sophistry.

I hope there's more going on here than vertical positioning among
towering intellects (the male thing).  I mean, come one - let's see
the big picture!  Dr. T is what the PR industry would call an "opinion
leader", and here I am not talking sarcastically in any way.  Dr. T
really is an opinion leader, and as such, it would be nice if he
helped lead opinions in at least accurate ways.  If there's something
negative about Linux that he wants to highlight, then okay, so long as
it's at least true!  But saying that Microsoft undercharges, that
OpenOffice takes hours to load and that Microsoft is free (we've gone
from "undercharging" to "free" - what's next?  Microsoft pays users to
use their software?) is DUD or FUD, take your pick, although like I
just explained, the issue here is disinformation, not fear.

To Dr. T: You're a leader - why not lead your followers (like AK here)
somewhere worthwhile?

Lyle