Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Josh Glover wrote:

On 03/08/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

Breaking backward compatability in a library causes little harm if the
users of the library are agile.

How do you know who your users are?

They're the guys who are still using the library after all of those API changes. :-)

More seriously, it's a trade-off. You can end up with some great
libraries by evolving them over a few years and breaking backward
compatability on a regular basis, or you can maintain backward
compatability and end up with disasters like the Java libraries.

Writing code is cheap and easy. Solving problems is hard. So given the
choice, I'll go for the solution that gives me better problem solving
power even if I end up rewriting a lot of code.*

* Mostly, I find, the "rewriting" is along the lines of, "generalize
that solution enough to make it work for this problem as well, and then
make both solutions invoke the common code."

cjs