Re: [tlug] Learning to Program

>   output POV-Ray code.
> >
> The sky is the limit, and that is what holds the child's interest.

POV sounds like a good idea.  I think my child would like the output.

What about a lego robot using Java?

Harness the programming capabilities of Java for your robot!

This project guide is a thorough course in building and programming
powerful LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT robots using the versatile programming
language Java. Instruction ranges from basic to sophisticated, providing
plenty of cross-education in robotics, mechanical engineering, and Java
programming. Example robots include a chess-playing arm, a navigating
robot that can map a room within a few inches, and a telepresence robot
that can be controlled through the Internet.

Shawn