Re: [tlug] Emergency nomikai August 17th?

On 02/08/07, burlingk@example.com <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

> I've not tried any of their "Premium" beers.

You can find them in most conbini (7-11 for sure); they come in
bottles, and cost 250 yen. Overpriced and underflavoured by the
standards of a good American beer store, but not bad for Japan.

> I've tried Asahi extra dry,

Ah, "Karakuchi", or the Japanese silver bullet. ;) Works very well
with anything wasabi-based (read: sashimi), and excellent on a hot day
if you lower the temperature of the beer to 5 degrees or so before
consuming.

> You know the ones that you can get out of machines. :P

Yeah, yuck.

The biggest problem with Japanese beers is that the can is the
prevalent distribution medium. Cans leak metallic flavouring into the
beer with time, so when your can is not freshly, er, "bottled", it can
be quite a nasty surprise.

I read an interesting essay over at RateBeer.com on how different
colours of glass in a beer bottle optimise different things. I think
brown keeps the sun from skunking the beer, whereas green does
something different. Clear is clear.

Mmm... it is Friday night, and I have a Budweiser (the Czech one,
relax!) and some crazy English craft ale waiting for me at home.

I love beer! :)

--
Cheers,
Josh