[tlug] NinJava meeting on August 23 (Thu) - Panel discussion on hiring/interviewing developers

Hi everyone,

Pietro's question on writing a good IT resume turned into a very
interesting discussion regarding writing resumes, hiring and
interviewing developers.
Several people kept going back and forth expressing their - sometimes
very strong - opinions. We've invited them to present their views on
this topic at our next NinJava [http://ninjava.jp] meeting...

Here's the announcement:
---
Are you looking to hire another developer for your team and wondering
how to pick the right candidate from that stack of resumes on your
desk?

While there are tons of management books in which you can find
excellent advice, the tips and tricks they describe don't always seem
to fit your situation. Perhaps your team is simply "too agile"? Or is
it because what might work well for small companies is not always
acceptable in large organizations?

We have invited a few engineers with various backgrounds and
experience (e.g. Amazon, Cerego, Microsoft, Ubit, Vanten, ...) to tell
us more about their interviewing style and to give us their personal
views on hiring technical people and building engineering teams.

Are you looking for another job and not sure what to put in your
resume or what to expect from the interviews? Here's your opportunity
to find out how the guy at the other side of the table thinks.

Some of the topics that are likely to be discussed:
- Resumes: What should I look for? How important are the buzz words?
- Phone interviews, technical interviews: What do I want to see or
hear? What are the typical red flags?
- Sample code, pair programming, ...: How do I find out how good
someone really is? Whether or not they will fit the team culture?

We'll reserve plenty of time for Q & A.

Panelists: Josh Glover, Curt Sampson, Rainer Mager
Moderator: Zev Blut

Start: 20:00 (doors open 19:30)
End: 21:30
Place: Amazon Japan headquarters, Shibuya Cross Tower, 6F
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/Meetings:Locations:Shibuya:Amazon
---

I'd like to thank Josh for arranging the big meeting room at Amazon's
office, as well as all others for joining the panel.
We might decide to add one more person to the panel so we'll keep you posted!

Peter