Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

Keith Bawden wrote:
perspective it can be frustrating to know the person sitting across
the desk from you is screening you (in or out) for a job they know
little about. Sort of like trying to measure the temperature of water
using a tobasco coated marshmallow - not really the right tool for the
job...
Point well-taken. I did notice your snipping, actually; I think I was just poking fun at my profession more than anything.

While I do take it seriously, and I do believe I add value to my candidates' career searches (e.g. salary evaluation compared to market rate, etc.), I do think that taking 30 minutes to top-to-bottom evaluate someone is, well, occasionally, an arbitrary task. I actually find this (interviewing) to be the best part of the job, though.

I think the best thing any agent could do if he/she didn't understand something is just to ask. If I don't know about a given technology, I ask about it. Sure, I don't become an expert -- but knowing /what/ something is used for can sometimes be as good as knowing /how/ to use it. That gives me a much more solid picture if a candidate may be suitable for a given job.

Regards,

Mark