Re: [tlug] Emergency nomikai August 17th?

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 06:37, Godwin Stewart wrote:
>US only >> 1 pint == 16 floz, or roughly 454 ml.
>"A pint of pure water weighs a pound without the quarter" ??

I never learned that one (or any other relation between volume and
weight in the imperial system). What i learned was "8 ounces to a cup /
2 cups to a pint / 2 pints to a quart / 4 quarts to a gallon". If said
with the right rhythm that is not overly difficult to remember. Of
course that's the US version of the system; i'm only familiar enough
with the UK version to know that it is different.

I really wish the US used more metric. The names of most of the units in
the imperial system don't make as much inherent sense as those of the
metric system. And while conversions from one imperial unit to another
probably requires less work on a digital computer than the same
operations in metric (since imperial units usually have a base-2
relationship to one another and can thus be converted by bit shifting
instead of multiplication), metric is easier for most humans and
computers are certainly fast enough to handle base-10 arithmetic.