Re: [tlug] Expensive Microsoft

On 8/1/07, Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:
> Wow, talk about your % of hardware cost: I recently replaced my 4 year
> old's computer. Fry's had GQ brand machines on sale for $250, with a
> $100 mail-in rebate. That gets you a Sempron 3000+, 512 meg of DDR2-533,
> 80 GB disk (Not large, but large enough for a four year old running
> Linux), CD-RW/DVD-ROM, onboard GeForce 6100 w/shared memory, fax modem,
> keyboqrd, mouse, speakers, and Vista Home Basic. The whole machine after
> rebate is cheaper than the price you quote for Home Basic. Amazing.

There was an article in an on-line computer newsletter (maybe
something from ZD-Net?) about how some computers are very inexpensive
due to being loaded with programs and ads, etc., which bring the price
way down.  The people who use them as they buy them pay a usability
price since the systems are so loaded up with junk, but if you do the
way you have, by putting in Linux, it's a wonderful thing!

Incidentally - can you recommend something to get an eleven-year-old
started with programming?  I'm not a programmer myself, but he's
expressed an interest in programming and I'd like to get him started
somehow.

> The machine is nice, fast, and quiet, and running Linux :-)

Very cool!

Lyle