Re: [tlug] Expensive Microsoft

On 8/1/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Roger Markus wrote:
>
> > There was talk on the list of free Microsoft (from Curt, wasn't it?),
> > so I decided to drop by one of the major discount chains to see if
> > they were handing out boxes of buggy Microsoft for free....
>
> I didn't say it was always free.  You just went to to the wrong part of
> the shop.

It's never free.  I didn't go to the wrong part of the shop.  I went
to the part of the shop where they had overpriced Windows for sale.
Obscenely, they even had Windows boxes sitting with the Linux stuff in
its very small section.

> Go to the laptop section and compare a Thinkpad without Windows to a
> Thinkpad with Windows. You will note that they are exactly the same price.
>
> (Hint: you get a Thinkpad without Windows by erasing it from the hard
> drive, and removing the license sticker and destroying it.)

That's cute, but inane and dishonest.  Or maybe you don't understand
the meaning of "free"?  Hint - buy a good dictionary and see what
"free" means.  Windows is never free unless you break the law and
steal it.  Did you break the law?  You can use Linux for free without
breaking the law!

RM