Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Darren Cook wrote:

My opinion, FWIW, is that if you have that many people on the same
*codebase* it is time to split it into products/libraries, each with
their own small public API, and their own release cycles, and develop
each separately.

In my *experience*, introducing that kind of thing is an excellent way to slow down progress, increase code bloat, and prevent the development of good frameworks and libraries. It's fantastic at inhibiting refactoring.

I say this as someone who less than a decade ago believed exactly
as you do.

One of the areas that Bryan and I have put a lot of work into over the
last year or so has been tools and methods to allow us to rapidly evolve
our QAM framework and easily pull the changes (including continuous API
changes) in to all of the applications we're developing and maintaining.
Right now, this includes ten projects under active development or
maintenance and another half dozen or so in the "it's still running" state.

On a related note, last week we had to upgrade over a dozen different
applications from lighttpd 1.4.15 to 1.4.16 to close some security
holes, and test and release them all (on five different production
servers). It took more than half a day. We need need to develop a better
tool for doing that at some point.

cjs