Re: [tlug] Emergency nomikai August 17th?

On 01/08/07, burlingk@example.com <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

> I'm not a beer drinker.

A point you are about to make quite obvious. ;)

> Mass-produced beers in any
> country are crap.  In my opinion, they should let the
> horses keep it, and not bottle it.

+1

> When I got to Japan, someone assured me that Asahi made
> a good beer.

Asahi makes decent beer for a major brewery in that it is drinkable
with a meal. Wouldn't want to drink it by itself unless it was a hot
day, though.

Actually, I keep a 500mL bottle of Asahi in my fridge at all times for
heat emergencies. In other news, I'm fat now. ;)

> The first beer I ever tasted that was actually drinkable
> was the House Brew at Tengu in Shimbashi.  They have a
> Similar brew on tap at the other Tengu locations.  It
> has a definite barley taste to it. ^_^

Tengu House Brew, IMO, is about on par with Kirin / Sapporo / Asahi /
Ebisu "premium" beers; it almost stands on its own, and works quite
well in a izakaya setting where your goal is to eat, drink, and be
merry.

When you get out of the Navy, you really must join us at the Town
Crier, which has a few decent beers on tap, and a few outstanding ones
in the bottle (they occasionally have Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale, which
for my money is one of the outstanding exports of Merry Ole). People
who know beer can guide you gently towards losing your beer virginity
properly. ;)

--
Cheers,
Josh