RE: [tlug] Expensive Microsoft

On 8/1/2007, "burlingk@example.com" <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

>Stateside, Home Basic cost about 200$, but everything

Wow, talk about your % of hardware cost: I recently replaced my 4 year
old's computer. Fry's had GQ brand machines on sale for $250, with a
$100 mail-in rebate. That gets you a Sempron 3000+, 512 meg of DDR2-533,
80 GB disk (Not large, but large enough for a four year old running
Linux), CD-RW/DVD-ROM, onboard GeForce 6100 w/shared memory, fax modem,
keyboqrd, mouse, speakers, and Vista Home Basic. The whole machine after
rebate is cheaper than the price you quote for Home Basic. Amazing.

The machine is nice, fast, and quiet, and running Linux :-)

Jonathan