Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

On 29/07/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> It's been a long time since I read it, so it may be more technical
> than I remember it, but an excellent layman-readable account of the
> basic ideas is Robert Frank's "Passions Within Reason".  The book is
> even better than the title.

Just added it to my Amazon wish list, which in theory means I will
read it before it goes out of print. :)

If you have a copy you'd loan a brutha...

> It's definitely at a lower level of
> technicality (and larger type for us oldsters :-) than "Folded,
> Spindled, and Mutilated: US v. IBM".  (I mention the latter because
> you can ask Josh about whether my definition of "suitable for the
> layman" has any connection to reality. :-)

IMO, when Steve says "suitable for the layman", it means that a
reasonably smart guy (here, me; no, really!) can understand the first
150 pages by reading slowly and re-reading two paragraphs a page, on
average.

I gave up on "F,S,aM:UvI" (that's a mouthful) when it started getting
really technical, but the first 150 pages were probably the best
introduction to basic theories of competition and monopoly that I
could imagine.

I would recommend it to anyone who cares about economics, and if Steve
claims that "Passions within Reason" is *more* accessible, grab it
now!

--
Cheers,
Josh