Re: font/char set question: keitai: non-support of stuff is a feature . . . . . . . . [tlug]

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Josh Glover wrote:

CSS? Double-plus-good. Separation of content from presentation is one
of the core principles of software engineering, or so I've been
taught.

Actually, I've not found CSS to be all that useful once you get much beyond static HTML pages. A serious separation of presentation from content tends to take you well away from HTML for the source content anyway, at which point is possibly even easier to just tweak the generated tag than it is to use CSS.

One area where it is nice is when using Javascript to update the style
of elements; merely adding or removing a class tag or two can make some
quite dramatic changes in the presentation. That saves what would be a
particularly painful library routine.

I have Firefox set to query me whenever a site wants to set a cookie,
and I usually say no, unless it is a site that I trust, and I see how
the cookie adds value to my experience (e.g. personalisation, etc.).

I did that for a while, and it killed me. These days, since I have the Web Developer Toolbar installed anyway, and it Does the Right Thing in this case, I keep Disable Cookies / All Cookies set, and just turn it off if a web site isn't working and I particularly want it to. (This setting still returns cookies you already have, and accepts new cookies without prompting from sites where you've previously said "accept all cookies from this site." I can't recommend this mode of browsing enough.

cjs