Re: [tlug] Re: font/char set question

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Darren Cook wrote:

...it is that doubt that keeps Amazon using Shift-JIS. Though if they
are actually doing the conversion at the gateway, surely there is not
room for doubt? Or do more modern phones use a different gateway?

There is always room for doubt. :-)

If having Japanese display properly to Japanese overrides all other
considerations, defaulting to Shift_JIS when you are not sure that the
terminal supports UTF-8 is the correct choice, IMHO.

The biggest problem I've so far had with "everything in UTF-8" is when a
client exports our database into Shift-JIS to use in a legacy (address
label printing) system. It is not so much people inputting Chinese, or
European accents, the problem was question marks appeared in addresses
and the P.O. couldn't deliver. It turns out there are many more kinds of
hyphens in UTF-8 than in Shift-JIS, and so people end up using them.

Fascinating!

So now my forms collect data in UTF-8, convert the known problem hyphen
characters, then convert to Shift-JIS, then convert back to UTF-8, and
if the start and end string are not the same I give the user an error
message and tell them not to use weird characters.

That's one solution. A better one might be to use the Post Office database; that will do an even better job of ensuring deliverability, and you may well find that you can set up a UI that will allow easier and faster input, as well.

cjs