Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

That's why even though BSD TCP/IP is the generally preferred
implementation, there is no *reference* implementation.  TCP/IP is a
separate set of standards, written in *prose*, not code.

That is the case, yes. But that misses the point of what I'm trying to get at: is it possible to create a specification for TCP/IP that out of code, or at the very least, replace part of the prose with code?

Look at this:

http://www.research.umbc.edu/~jeehye/cmsc491b/lectures/tcpstate/sld001.htm

Doesn't that seem to you like something that could be expressed as code
and tests (or testable constraints) instead of written prose? Ideally,
that code/spec could be then be executed in TCP implementations, and
not only would we be able to produce from the that sort of picture for
pedagogical purposes, but even animations and so on.