Re: font/char set question: Chinese Amazon charset: Autodetect: Not! . . . . . . . [tlug]

> That makes sense to ignorant me, but amazon.cn seems to ignore
my browser's language settings. Setting my browser for ja, ko-kr, ko, vi, en, or bn, I get the same Chinese no matter what. At least it seems to be traditional. Amazon.jp seems to always generate only Japanese, regardless of browser settings.

Those settings only affect multilingual sites that support it.

That is they specify to the server, that if it has the page available in ja, ko-kr, ko, vi, en or bn then the page should be served in that language in that order of preference.
I think you can try this on google.com. If my browser is set to is, en, jp I would get the Icelandic version of google. If I change it to jp, is, en, I would get the Japanese one (or the Icelandic one if a Japanese one didn't exist).

Since Amazon.jp most likely doesn't offer their pages in multiple languages it wouldn't have any effect. Of course the do offer some of the interface in English so that might be displayed by default if you change the order to en, jp ... but only if they actually support this setting (not all websites do despite being multilingual).

BAB