Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 03:56:07PM +0900, burlingk@example.com wrote:

> > Does that include an "essentially" free copy of MS-Office
> > Professional?
> >
> > Lyle
>
> That brings to mind MS's new OEM tactic for Office.
> Many OEM machines include a trial copy that will open
> X number of documents, then lock you out till you
> cough up the cash.

I don't know if the trial includes Outlook, but we did find, to our
annoyance, that a pst file created in Outlook 2003 couldn't be moved
over to an Outlook 2000 setup.

So, if it does include Outlook, and somone uses it (and many users will
use it, not realizing that they'll have to buy eventually) they will
then be stuck with mail that they will no longer be able to open unless
they buy it.

Interestingly enough, I was glancing through an old book, written around
2000, by Mark Minasi, best known for his books on running Windows
servers--it was about Linux, written for the MS admin.

At the end, in judging the strengths and weaknesses, he mentioned
several difficulties with Linux, especially for the end user, that no
longer hold, such as lack of ease of installation, GUI interfaces, etc.
etc.   He then wrote, in talking about its strengths, how Microsoft,
although now (in 2000) allows you to buy software and keep it forever,
could, if they wished, sell you software that only works for a year,
then make you buy more.  From what (very little) I understand, it seems
as if this is almost what they are now doing with Office--isn't it
something like you don't actually buy it, you just buy a license, which
has to be renewed in 3 years?

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Well, that works out great. You won't tell anyone
that I'm the Slayer, and I won't tell anyone you're a moron.