Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

On 27/07/07, Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/2007, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
>
> >Dave seems to be happy with the length, and it took me 15 minutes to
> >read it, which I did not think was unreasonable.
>
> Damn CS majors thinking they're editors ;-)

Heh. :) Guilty as charged on that one.

> I paid my way through college as an English tutor, and a good portion of
> my work involved helping people edit their papers and teaching them how
> to edit.

I also edited a tonne of papers in Uni for others. I took enough
English courses to have earned a minor in English, had I felt like
doing the paperwork. I wrote many, many papers on many, many topics,
none of which ever received a grade lower than A- (90%). I never
received a grade lower than an A in any English class in Uni, and you
know where I went to school. [1]

Not to mention the two creative writing classes that I took, which
involved editing other people's work as part of the course.

All of this, and I don't claim to be a capital-E Editor. Editing is
hard work, and takes lots of time. I don't have that time to offer for
free, and neither does my wife (who is available for translating or
editing ja_JP => en_* or bg_BG <=> en_* or even ja_JP => bg_BG, should
you need it </plug>).

If you or other TLUGgers do, that is great, but if Dave does not want
your help, accept it and take that into consideration when you vote.

Just let the dead horse go gentle into that good night. ;)

> Good writing is a lot like good code: it's clear, concise, and to the
> point. The article, as it currently stands, is a rough draft. We can
> rebuild it. We can make it better than it. Better. Stronger. Shorter.

Agreed. But that decision is Dave's, not ours.

> I don't agree with some of the assumptions and conclusions of the
> article, but if it's going to be published, it needs to go through an
> editing cycle until it's ready to be published.

That is your opinion. Mine is different.

Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://www.wm.edu/