Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

On 7/28/2007, "Lyle H Saxon" <llletters@example.com> wrote:

>Let me get this straight - your money was taken from you without you
>having a choice, therefore it wasn't taken?  This is a Monty-Python
>joke maybe?  You are joking here, right?

I think what he means is that since Windows is built into the price of
the machine, just as OS X is built into the price of a Mac, people
don't really regard it as something that they paid for (although in
fact they did, of course).

FWIW, it is possible to get a new Thinkpad without Linux; Emperor Linux
sells them with Linux pre-installed. One thing I'm very curious about
is if they have to pay the Windows tax when they get them, or does
Lenovo (and IBM before it) sell bare Thinkpads to Emporer? Anyone got a
contact there?

On their website they say they are in the VAR program and their machines
have the full manufacturer's warranty and the warranty has always been
honored by the manufacturer, so we know at least that Lenovo is cool
with them doing it.

-Jonathan