Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

On 7/27/2007, "Dave M G" <dave@example.com> wrote:

>What I am saying is one simple thing:
>
>There is no evidence that I can see to support anyone's claim that they
>know better than anyone else about how this article should be presented.

Translation: "I refuse to accept that any of the people who say they are
better editors and/or writers than I am might (and who want to help me,
for free) be correct."

Were you saying something about hubris?

>That this article could somehow cause "embarrassment" to tlug or myself
>in any way at all is paranoia based on hubris.

OK, I can accept that you are not embarrassed to take an unedited, sloppy
piece of work, throw it online, and call it finished. It's your writing
and your business, and I'm sure you have your own web page on which you
can host it. However, you are asking us to host it on the TLUG site,
which officially associates our name with it, and with what you could
call our editorial standards. If you're going to ask for that, then you
have to be willing to meet a reasonable standard. Since you're not, I
can't support having it on our site.

>believe that an article like this will become the subject of mockery at
>cocktail parties worldwide should it not succeed?

No. Linux people aren't usually found at cocktail parties, nor are we
widely known for caring a great deal about the respect of those who do
tend to be found at them. Mockery in circles where we do care about what
people think? Now that could happen. TLUG is one of the better-known
LUGs, with a large international membership.

If it as a nasty, crufty piece of code that anyone in his right mind
wouldn't want to put up on a LUG website, would you still be taking
this position? I Some people get as emotionally attached to their code
as they do their writing (both are bad things; they wipe out your
ability to edit), so maybe you would, although I hope not.

> Far more likely that,
>in the event of failure, no one anyone will notice or care.

Then no one will notice or care in the event of success either, which is
a pretty good argument from your own mouth for not hosting it. If no one
is going to care, why should anyone bother to put it up?

>I'm willing to take that risk. Not because I'm just throwing shit to see
>if it will stick. Because I already believe my article to not be shit,

It's not shit, but it's still a long way from ice cream.

>and the risks are non-existent.

Fine. Then host it with your bandwidth. You can't take a
my-way-or-the-highway attitude with either the server resources of TLUG
or the bandwidth resources of Primus, who generously sponsors us.

Well, I suppose you can, but then it's the highway.

Cheers,

Jonathan