[tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

"Jonathan Byrne" <jonathan@example.com> wrote:

>On 7/27/2007, "Nguyen Vu Hung" <vu-hung@example.com> wrote:
>
>>Like Dave said, it is a trade off between brevity and readability. /../
>
>Actually, brevity is readability. My US Government teacher in high school
>used to say that a paper should be like a skirt: long enough to cover
>the subject, but short enough to maintain interest. The article as it
>stands now is a floor-length gown with a 12 foot train :)

As that line goes. "It ain't the train I'm looking it, it's the engine
that's pulling it!" LOL

Rewriting something a couple of times is good practice too. Apart from
TLUG emails, which I just shoot off haphazardly <g>, I check my flow
at each level of document sectioning, down to the sentences in each
paragraph, especially the leading sentence. If a reader cannot skim
the first half a line per paragraph and get the flow and content
outline, then I would say the piece could use rephrasing. That doesn't
mean it is bad, nor that the content is poor, simply that the author
is letting the reader do an awful lot more work than necessary. The
same could be sadi about the choice of fonts and typography, paper
quality and so forth (web design in the case of a hosted page).

The piece in question can easily benefit from everyone's input here.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug