RE: [C&C] The Advantage of 8-Track Tapes . . . . . (was: Re:[tlug][C&C] AAC is lossy, FLAC is lossless)

Curt Sampson writes:

 > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, burlingk@example.com wrote:

 > > A record collector though usually collects records to actually
 > > LISTEN to them. :)  ^_^

 > You know, somehow I doubt that that's the case in Japan.

I dunno that it's the case anywhere.  The guy in grad school with the
amazingly large collection (and the even more amazingly generous dad)
used to regularly engage in "precautionary shopping".  Even though he
already had about 1000 unopened albums (20 orange crates full) "in
case he couldn't think of something he'd rather listen to", he'd
always buy a few extras to add to that "because the half-life of
'interesting' is about 8 weeks".  He even had a half-dozen of what he
claimed were "gold masters", and those of course he never played, they
were hanging on the wall behind glass.

Then there was a guy who kept dupes of all the recordings ever
published by The Who, just in case the vinyl wore out mid-play.

At the other extreme was the guy who only collected songs by John
Prine, memorized them, and played them back on a mouth harp.  *His*
collection *and* playback equipment were often both to be found in his
hat. :-)