Re: [tlug] [C&C] AAC is lossy, FLAC is lossless

On Monday 23 July 2007 17:52, Josh Glover wrote:
>What lossless codec would people recommend for audio?

If you are talking about lossless, use whatever is easiest to support on
the platforms that matter to you. The file size varies only slightly
between lossless formats, so ease of working with the files is probably
the most important.

A couple years ago i ripped my entire CD collection to flac files. I
chose that format because of its losslessness and because it is an open
format with open source tools for reading / writing it. I have not yet
been dissappointed by the decision, and if for some reason i decide to
switch to something else, it will be a simple matter to write a script
to transcode my collection while preserving all the tags. So far it has
been easy to play the files on my Linux machines as well as OS X and
even Windows. If i want to copy an album to my iPod i have a script to
transcode an album to MP3, but i mostly use the iPod for listening to
Japanese language lessons so even that hasn't been much of an issue.