Re: [tlug] Video Editing Soft & Formats

On 24/07/07, Edward Wright <edw@example.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 08:01:36AM +0900, Josh Glover wrote:

> If anyone is ordering HP7 and it is all the same to you, buy the UK version:

I did... 'cause the cover was cooler....
Isn't the text the same??

No, the text is not the same. English spellings are mangled, and things that Americans are "too dumb to understand" are fixed, e.g.

s/lift/elevator/g
s/torch/flashlight/g
s/1st floor/2nd floor/g

and a lot of the more colourful English (i.e. as spoken by Ron and
"'agrid", especially) is translated into American, which just sounds
dumb, since the story and the setting are so English.

I made the mistake of reading "Philosopher's Stone" (for Americans:
"Sorcerer's Stone", since we are apparently not aware of what the
philosopher's stone is--the element that would allow for the
transmutation of base metals into gold and eternal life, of course) in
the American version, and thought that Mrs. Rowling had just not been
as good as I remembered, until I saw the UK version at the library
(different cover clued me in), picked it up, and found that it was as
delightful as ever.

--
Cheers,
Josh