Re: [tlug] Giving a program priority briefly

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Josh Glover wrote:

It is your job as an engineer to get the customer to sign off on
*some* kind of spec, even if said spec is no more than a UI mockup or
a workflow diagram. How can you design something that has a chance in
hell of acceptance otherwise?

You have a discussion about what the customer wants, get to the point where you feel you agree, code up a bit of it, show it to him, and see what he says. Repeat many times, and you'll end up with a very happy customer.

"Signing off" on a spec. is just a way to shirk responsibility and
shovel blame: it's there so when the customer says, "that's not what I
meant!" you can say, "hey, look at this document you signed."

What happens when you quit and the next hapless engineer has to
maintain your stuff? Won't it be easier if he has a spec to look at to
see just what problem your code solves?

He's got one: the code is the prefect specfication. (Well, perfect in the sense that it specifies exactly what the computer will do. As a developer, you also need to make sure it clearly tells humans what the intentions are.)

Wow. You've drunk the XP kool-aid deeply, I see. ;)

Yes.

...I just think that advocating a spec-free approach
is a disservice to engineers less experienced than you. Not to mention
a disservice to anyone who has to maintain your code.

Perhaps we're just using the words slightly differently. I have lots of specifications; they're just not written down as formal English documents. Perhaps that's not even the sense in which you're using it.

cjs