Re: Petitioner Spammed . . . . . (was Re: [tlug] Fwd: OOXML in Japan)

On 23/07/07, David J Iannucci <jlinux@example.com> wrote:

[Josh Glover wrote:]

> What if Microsoft snags all addresses that sign the survey, and aside
> from putting them on a To Kill list, sells them to spammers just to
> frame the petition lot?

Why in the WORLD would the petition people allow such a thing!?
[...]
I doubt they would - but they can certainly be careless.  Perhaps
they've been infiltrated by a Redmond mole?

You misunderstood me, I guess. Two things:

1. If it ain't HTTPS (and I cannot remember whether the petition was,
but I suspect not), it can be sniffed. You are aware of how the
Internet works, right? Packets can be sent *anywhere* once they hit
the public Internet.
2. Perhaps they've been infiltrated by a Redmond mole. :)

Notice I did not speculate as to *how* Microsoft got hold of the
addresses, just that it is possible that they did, as they certainly
have motive to discredit the petitioners.

--
Cheers,
Josh