Re: [tlug] Linux / MacOS X and dv cameras

Lyle H Saxon writes:

 > Yeah - and there was even a special Brand-W version for NEC that
 > produced files incompatible with everyone else!  For computers, NEC is
 > at the very top of my "Do Not Buy!!!" list!  Sony is second.

I don't think I'd go that far.  Do you remember Toshiba's 3-speed 3.5"
floppies that defaulted to 720kB and 1.2MB formats?  *All* the
Japanese makers did that kind of stuff (including your buddy Hitachi,
IIRC they had displays with some "super-VGA" format that only
Hitachi's version of DoS/Windrows could access).

But running unauthorized programs on somebody else's computer is a
different level of evil.  SONY's not alone in that, but to do it from
an audio CD ... one wonders if they were paying Kevin Mitnick
consulting fees to come up with that one.